The Department of Works of the Assembly is a merger of the Public works Department, Department of Feeder Roads, Department of Rural Housing and the Works Unit of the Assembly.
The Works Department;
- Facilitate the implementation of policies on works and report to the Assembly, and provide advice on matters relating to Works in the Assembly.
- Facilitate the construction, repair and maintenance of:
- Public roads including Feeder Roads.
- Drains along any streets in the major settlements within its jurisdiction.
- Encourage and facilitate maintenance of public buildings and facilities in the Assembly.
- Assist to build, equip, close and maintain markets and prohibit the erection of stores in places other than the markets.
- Assist to inspect projects undertaken by the District Assembly with the relevant departments of the Assembly.
- Advise the Assembly on the prohibition of digging of burrow pits and other evacuations in the sinking of wells or their closers.
- Assist to maintain public buildings made up of offices, residential accommodations and ancillary structures.
- Advise and encourage owners of building structures to
- Remove dilapidated structures in any public place.
- Paint, distemper, white wash or colour wash the outside of any building forming part of the premises
- Tidy up the premises and remove any derelict vehicles or objects which constitute nuisance
- Provide technical advice for the machinery and structural layout of building plans to facilitate escape from fire, rescue operation and fire management