Stakeholders’ Forum On The Dredging Of The Djanle Lagoon At Coral Beach Resort,Ningo
July 27, 2023
Highlights Of Matters Agreed At Stakeholders’ Forum On The Dredging Of The Djanle Lagoon, At Ningo. In attendance are NiPDA, The Great Ningo Traditional Council, Dredge Masters Limited, Honorable Assembly men, other opinion Leaders, Concern citizens and Hydrological Services Authority.
1. The project had the enthusiastic support of the Chiefs and people of Ningo, who had prayed and petitioned for the dredging of the lagoon for several years.
2. 1,500m length of channel to be dredged with width of 100m and depths of 2.5m to 2.8m.
3. Cutter suction dredger, the biggest in West Africa to be deployed.
4. No work to be undertaken on lagoon on Mondays as this is a taboo to the Djanle.
5. Fishermen with Canoes on sandbar located at the estuary to be relocated.
6. 400,000cubic metres of dredged material to be used as back fill between groynes and for revetment.
7. Project will improve flood control, revitalize fishing and aquatic life in lagoon.
8. Project will serve as impetus for the development of real estates and tourism infrastructure.
9. Need for the District Assembly to have a development plan.
10. Need to preserve flood plains and avoid encroachment and unplanned development.
Other Related Matters
11. District Assembly need to stop ongoing sand winning activities at beaches where groynes have already been constructed.
12. District Assembly need to develop drainage master plan for the entire coastline.
13. District Assembly need to preserve access to the beach for the general public.