The Ningo-Prampram District Assembly (NiPDA) is one of the Two Hundred and Fifty-Four (254) Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs) in Ghana and among the Twenty-Six (26) MMDAs in the Greater Accra Region. It was established in 2012 and has two tradition areas.
According to the 2010 Population and Housing Census, the total population of the Metropolis was 665,086 with females constituting 51.9 percent while males formed 48.1 percent. Using the Greater Accra Population growth rate of 3.1%, the 2018 population of Accra is estimated at 736,889. the district has a daily influx of more than five humdred people who commute to the district for various socio-economic activities. It is therefore estimated that Ningo-Prampram has a daily population of about 8 hundred thousand comprise of both residents and visitors.
The Assembly has sixteen (11) Departments and other Units with Heads of Departments who all report directly to the District Coordinating Director (DCD) and ultimately to the District Chief Executive. The General Assembly meetings are presided over by the Presiding Member (PM). The General Assembly has a Membership of 31 comprising of 21 Elected Members, 10 Government Appointees, 1 Member of Parliament and the District Chief Executive who also chairs the Executive Committee.
In the performance of its functions, the District Assembly works through 6 Sub-Committees. These Sub-Committees perform deliberative functions and submit recommendations to the Executive committee for further deliberation and then to the General Assembly for final decisions and implementation. The Six (6) Sub-Committees include; Social Services, Finance & Administration, Development Planning, Justice & Security, Education, Works.
To improve the Quality of Life of People Living within the Ningo-Prampram District by Providing Leadership and Opportunities for Social and Economic Development Whilst Maintaining a Clean, Attractive and Secured Environment.
A Smart, Sustainable, Resilient City
Section 12 (3) of Local Governance Act, 2016 (ACT 936) which establishes the Assembly also mandates it to perform among other functions;
- Be responsible for the overall development of the district;
- Formulate and execute plans, programmes and strategies for the effective mobilization of the resources necessary for the overall development of the district;
- Promote and support productive activity and social development in the district and remove any obstacles to initiative and development;
- Sponsor the education of students from the district to fill particular manpower needs of the district especially in the social sectors of education and health, making sure that the sponsorship is fairly and equitably balanced between male and female students;
- Initiate programmes for the development of basic infrastructure and provide municipal works and services in the district;
- Be responsible for the development, improvement and management of human settlements and the environment in the district;
- In co-operation with the appropriate national and local security agencies, be responsible for the maintenance of security and public safety in the district;
- Ensure ready access to courts in the district for the promotion of justice;
- Act to preserve and promote the cultural heritage within the district
- Initiate, sponsor or carry out studies that may be necessary for the discharge of any of the duties conferred by this Act or any other enactment; and
- Perform any other functions that may be provided under another enactment.