It is the policy of the Service to recruit, select and retain the right staff at the right time, for right roles to deliver quality services to people and to achieve its mandate and targets. The process in recruiting, selection and retention must be open, transparent, effective, accountable, career based, merit-oriented and well documented.
The service is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the bases of gender, race, colour, ethnic origin, religion, creed or social or economic status. The Service will strive to ensure that the staffing levels reflect the national character and that all members of staff are committed to equal employment opportunity practice.
Recruitment, selection and retention can fulfill the following objectives:
1. Reviewing the list of objectives of the Service and to achieve them by promoting the Service in the minds of public.
2. Forecasting how many people will be required in the service.
3. Enabling the service to advertise itself and attract adequate qualified and competent employees so that the Service can achieve its mandate and target.
4. Standard and environmental monitoring.
5. Environmental monitoring control.
6. Pest and population control.
7. Noise, smoke and dust nuissance.
8. Sanitation and safety.
The policy and procedures in Recruitment, Selection and Retention shall apply to all categories of posts in the Service as indicated under section 2.5 below
the appointing authorities have the responsibility and accountability to ensure that recruitment, selection and retention in the Service are guided by the policy and principles stated in 2.2 (Policy statement). The appointing authorities and the major job categories are listed in the LGS conditions of Service.